ARCHITECTURAL & INTERIOR PLANNING SERVICES
Home Counties Design
OFFICE : 0208 642 3352 EMAIL : INFO@HOMECOUNTIESDESIGN.CO.UK
TWO STOREY EXTENSIONS
To the Rear only
Built under Permitted Development
A two storey extension can only be built on the rear of a property. It must also meet the following criteria.
* The house isn’t in designated land, such as National Parks and the Broads, Areas of
Outstanding Natural Beauty, Conservation Areas and World Heritage Sites.
* The extension doesn’t exceed 50% of the site area if the original house was built after
1st July 1948.
* The extension doesn’t exceed the highest point of the existing building.
* The extension doesn’t project beyond the side of the existing building.
* The extension doesn’t project beyond the rear wall of the existing building by more than
3m at ground and first floor levels.
* The extension cannot be built within 2m of a side boundary, or within 7 metres
of a rear boundary.
* All building materials must match the existing house.
WHAT’S NEEDED TO START?
* We’ll come to you to talk over your project, free of charge, and let you know what’s possible.
* We’ll send you an estimate of our fees and let you know what other costs are involved,
especially Local Authority charges.
* We’ll carry out a measured Survey of the existing building, and plot the surrounding area
and adjoining properties.
* We’ll draw up the Survey plans and elevations, as these are needed by the Local Authority.
* We’ll prepare Scheme drawings for you to agree, showing plans and elevations
of your proposed extension.
* We’ll prepare and submit the Lawful Development Certificate Application to the Local Authority.
* We’ll receive an Acknowledgement of the Application from the Council giving a decision date
– which is usually a minimum of 8 weeks from the acknowledgement date.
* The Planning Officer will visit your property, and your neighbours’, and take photographs
to assist with their report.
* Your Application will be considered by the Planning Department and a decision
will be received in 8 weeks.
* Once you’ve received the Lawful Development Certificate you’ll need to think
about construction drawings.
* If Permitted Development is refused you will need to make a Planning Application.