Home Counties Design



Home Counties Design



To the Rear only


Built under Permitted Development


A two storey extension can only  be built on the rear of a property.  It must also meet the following criteria. 



*  The house isn’t in designated land, such as National Parks and the Broads, Areas of    

    Outstanding Natural Beauty, Conservation Areas and World Heritage Sites.


*  The extension doesn’t exceed 50% of the site area if the original house was built after

   1st July 1948.


*  The extension doesn’t exceed the highest point of the existing building.


*  The extension doesn’t project beyond the side of the existing building.


*  The extension doesn’t project beyond the rear wall of the existing building by more than

   3m at ground and first floor levels.


*  The extension cannot be built within 2m of a side boundary, or within 7 metres

   of a rear boundary.


*   All building materials must match the existing house.














*  We’ll come to you to talk over your project, free of charge, and let you know what’s possible.


*  We’ll send you an estimate of our fees and let you know what other costs are involved,

   especially Local Authority charges.


*  We’ll carry out a measured Survey of the existing building, and plot the surrounding area

   and adjoining properties.


*   We’ll draw up the Survey plans and elevations, as these are needed by the Local Authority.


*   We’ll prepare Scheme drawings for you to agree, showing plans and elevations

    of your proposed extension.


*   We’ll prepare and submit the Lawful Development Certificate Application to the Local Authority.


*   We’ll receive an Acknowledgement of the Application from the Council giving a decision date

     – which is usually a minimum of 8 weeks from the acknowledgement date.


*  The Planning Officer will visit your property, and your neighbours’, and take photographs

    to assist with their report.


*   Your Application will be considered by the Planning Department and a decision

     will be received in 8 weeks.


*   Once you’ve received the Lawful Development Certificate you’ll need to think

    about construction drawings.


*   If Permitted Development is refused you will need to make a Planning Application.