ARCHITECTURAL & INTERIOR PLANNING SERVICES
Home Counties Design
OFFICE : 0208 642 3352 EMAIL : INFO@HOMECOUNTIESDESIGN.CO.UK
SINGLE STOREY EXTENSIONS
Built under Permitted Development
A single storey extension may be built under Permitted Development if it meets the following criteria.
* The house isn’t in designated land, such as National Parks and the Broads,
Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Conservation Areas and World Heritage Sites.
* A single storey extension doesn’t exceed 50% of the site area, if the original house
was built after 1st July 1948.
* A single storey side extension doesn’t project beyond the front and rear walls
of the existing building and isn’t more than half its width.
* A single storey rear extension doesn’t project beyond the side walls of the
* A single storey side or rear extension doesn’t exceed 4 metres in height and
is no higher than the existing building.
* A single storey side or rear extension’s eaves/gutter height doesn’t exceed
3 metres if within 2 metres of a boundary.
* A single storey rear extension to a terraced or semi-detached house doesn’t
exceed 3 metres in depth, or 4 metres for detached properties.
* A single storey rear extension isn’t within 7 metres of the rear boundary.
* A front porch doesn’t exceed 3 square metres measured externally, and
is no more than 3 metres high, nor within 2 metres of the front boundary.
* All building materials should match the existing building.
WHAT’S NEEDED TO START?
* We’ll come to you to talk over your project, free of charge, and let you know what’s possible.
* We’ll send you an estimate of our fees and let you know what other costs are involved,
especially Local Authority charges.
* We’ll carry out a measured Survey of the existing building, and plot the surrounding
area and adjoining properties.
* We’ll draw up the Survey plans and elevations, as these are needed by the Local Authority.
* We’ll prepare Scheme drawings for you to agree, showing plans and elevations
of your proposed extension.
* We’ll prepare and submit the Lawful Development Certificate Application to the Local Authority.
* We’ll receive an Acknowledgement of the Application from the Council giving a decision date
- which is usually a minimum of 8 weeks from the acknowledgement date.
* The Planning Officer will visit your property, and your neighbours’, and take photographs
to assist with their report.
* Your Application will be considered by the Planning Department and a decision will be
received in 8 weeks.
* Once you’ve received the Lawful Development Certificate you’ll need to think about
* If Permitted Development is refused you will need to make Planning Application.