Home Counties Design



Home Counties Design



Built under Permitted Development



An outbuilding, garage, or decking may be built under Permitted Development if it meets

the following criteria. 


*  The house isn’t in designated land, such as National Parks and the Broads,

    Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Conservation Areas and World Heritage Sites.


*  The footprint of the outbuilding, garage, or decking, when added to that of any existing 

    extension, doesn’t exceed 50% of the site area, if the original house was built after

   1st July 1948.


*  The outbuilding, garage, or decking isn’t built in front of the existing house.


*   The outbuilding or garage can only be a single storey building.


*   The maximum eaves/gutter height is 2.5m, and the roof ridge height cannot exceed 4m.

    This is 3m in the case of a flat roof.


*   If the outbuilding or garage is within 2m of any boundary its maximum height is 2.5m overall.


*   Any associated veranda, balcony, or raised platform including decking,can’t be more than

    300mm above ground level.















*  We’ll come to you to talk over your project free of charge and let you know what’s possible.


*  We’ll send you an estimate of our fees and let you know what other costs are involved,

   especially Local Authority charges.


*  We’ll carry out a measured Survey of the existing building, and plot the surrounding area and     

   adjoining properties.


*   We’ll draw up the Survey plans and elevations as these are needed by the Local Authority.


*   We’ll prepare Scheme drawings for you to agree, showing plans, sections, and elevations of your

    proposed extension.


*   We’ll prepare and submit the Lawful Development Certificate Application to the Local Authority.


*   We’ll receive an Acknowledgement of the Application from the Council giving a decision date

    - which is usually a minimum of 8 weeks from the acknowledgement date.


*  The Planning Officer will visit your property, and your neighbours’ and take photographs to assist

    with their report.


*   Your Application will be considered by the Planning Department and a decision will be received

     in 8 weeks.


*   Once you’ve received the Lawful Development Certificate you’ll need to think about construction



*   If Permitted Development is refused you’ll need to make a Planning Application.