Home Counties Design



Home Counties Design



Converted under Planning Permission


*  All building works to barns are likely to require not only Planning Permission, but also Listed

   Building Consent from the Local Authority and consent from other statutory bodies,

   ie.  English Heritage. This includes demolition, extensions, alterations, and repairs.


*  All building materials must match the existing building.


*  Any changes to the approved Planning Permission drawings will require either written consent

   from the Local Authority, or a new Planning Application.


*  Some Planning Permissions have Conditions attached which have to be discharged before

   building works start. This means submitting a more detailed application and a fee,

   and can take between 3 and 8 weeks for approval.






*  We’ll come to you to talk over your project, free of charge, and let you know what’s possible.


*  We’ll send you an estimate of our fees and let you know what other costs are involved,

   especially Local Authority charges.


*  We’ll carry out a measured Survey of the existing building, and plot the surrounding area and  

   adjoining properties.


*   We’ll draw up the Survey plans and elevations, as these are needed by the Local Authority.


*   We’ll prepare Scheme drawings for you to agree, showing plans, sections, and elevations

    of your proposed conversion.


*   We’ll prepare a Design & Access Statement, a Method Statement, a Heritage Statement, 

    and a Statement of Significance as needed, to accompany the Planning Application. 


*   We’ll prepare and submit the Planning Application to the Local Authority, including an Application

    for partial demolition, if necessary.


*   We’ll receive an Acknowledgement of the Application from the Council giving a decision date

    - which is usually a minimum of 8 weeks from the acknowledgement date.


*  The Council will send Notice letters to your neighbours giving them 21 days to comment

    on your Application.


*  The Planning Officer, and Conservation Area Officer if applicable, will visit your property,

    and your neighbours’, and take photographs to assist with their reports.


*   Your Application will be decided by the Planning Department, most likely under delegated powers,

    unless there are justifiable objections from neighbours.  In which case it will go before a Planning 

    Committee, taking longer than 8 weeks.


*   Once you’ve received Planning Permission you’ll need to think about construction drawings.


*   If Planning Permission is refused you can Appeal to the Planning Inspectorate.